Monday, November 09, 2009

There is a new movie coming out entitled Avatar. I don't know much about it. I don't care much about it. There are humans and blue aliens and a war about some shit that wasn't explained in the trailer. End of story. The best part about this movie is that it sparked the following argument between me and my sister:

Jacki: There's a new movie coming out called Avatar.
Catherine: (With a scornful expression) You mean Avatar?

Ugh, okay. This would be easier to explain if I was on the phone with you. The way I pronounced the title was like this: Avah-tar. So pretty much how it's spelt.
The way Catherine pronounced it was like this: Ay-vah-tar. So pretty much retarded.
The thing is, I knew I was right, because I'd seen the trailer not 15 minutes beforehand, and in the trailer that I'd seen not 15 minutes beforehand, the title was pronounced Avah-tar. I informed Catherine of this - loudly - and felt the tiny glow of victory that comes hand in hand with the public humiliation of a loved one.
Hmmm. Lovely.

No comments: