Sunday, March 15, 2009

Attack of the microwaved chicken

I'm a pretty big idiot. Especially when it comes to microwaves.
Ok, so my mum is always at me to cover my food before I put it in the microwave. You know.

Remember to cover it with gladwrap, otherwise it'll splatter everywhere, and if it does, I'm cleaning it up with your face.

Or whatever.
Still. I never cover my food, for 2 main reasons:
1) The whole point of a microwave is to heat food up quickly, right? So if I spend all this time gladwrapping and shiz, it defeats the whole purpose. I may as well just use the freaking oven. And;
2) If you cover a bowl or whatever with gladwrap, it forms this, like, food-cave, which fills up with hot hot steam in the microwave. No, that wasnt a typo. I meant to say hot twice. I want you to know how hot it is. Anyway, then when you're done microwaving, and you try to get the gladwrap off, all the steam like, rushes out and sears your skin. Yum.
Anyway long story short, I never gladwrap before microwaving.
I know. Rebel without a cause or what? And usually it all works out fine. Except for today, when the universe decided to come back and bite me in the ass for all those times I was so ruthless with the microwave. Or maybe it was just a freak microwaving incident. Whatever, all I know is that it was definitely blogworthy*

So its lunchtime and I'm hungry. I found some leftover butter chicken in the fridge so I shove it in the microwave (without covering it) for like 2 minutes. Then, as I'm heading away from the kitchen, I put a piece in my mouth and bite down, and it like - I kid you not - EXPLODES in my mouth, and all this hot steam shoots out the left side and burns the inside of my cheek.
I think its pretty lucky that nobody else was home, and that neither of my animals were in the room, since the next thing I did was open my mouth, spit the piece of chicken onto the floor and start screaming.
And when I say 'screaming', I really mean 'making a noise that can only be described as a cross between a woman in labor and a dog being violently ill'.
Oh, and the whole time I was kind of hunched over in pain. I only wish there had been a mirror nearby, because I'm guessing it looked pretty hilarious.

The worst part though, is that not only could I not eat that chicken, since I was scared all of the pieces might be secret-steam-bombs, but now all the skin on the inside of my mouth that got burnt is coming off. So any time I try to eat anything, all I can taste is skin.
And fear.
Fear of being attacked by microwaved chickens.

*My opinion of 'blogworthy' may differ greatly from that of other, more sane individuals. I mean come on, I wrote like 2 pages about Stanley Tucci last night.

No comments: