Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken Periods, Steak, Tropfest and The Best Night Of My Life

What a weekend!
So first of all, my sister was home from the navy. And even better than that, she was home from the navy with a friend; which is always fun, because who doesn't love freaking out new people?
I know I do!
Anyway, I'm not going to describe the whole sister/friend/reunion thing in detail, mainly because I know nobody cares, and also because I'm a lazy shit who can't be bothered. But here was my favourite moment:

Scene: At the dinner table, in the midst of a 'welcome home' BBQ
Mum: So what's the food like in the Navy?
Catherine: It's okay. Most of the time.
Dad: What do you get for breakfast?
Catherine: Um, bacon and eggs.
Owen: Oh, man! I don't think I've ever eaten so many eggs in my life.
Catherine: Me too!
Jacki: You know, eggs are like chicken's periods.
(silence)

Ha! Yeah. Jacki Trew: Moment Killer. Oh, and there was also this:

Jacki: Ew. This bubble gum tastes like butt.
Owen: How do you know what butt tastes like?
Jacki: What, you've never tasted butt before?
Owen: (Pause) Um. No.

Oh my gosh.
And just for the record, since I know maybe half of you are freaking out about it, eggs aren't really chicken's periods. I mean, they kind of are. But not really.
Well, maybe a little bit. Just...don't eat too many eggs is what I'm trying to say.
So that was Saturday. I spent the first half of Sunday at Jess Morton's house for a Vandy Reunion BBQ - yeah, this weekend was really all about hugging people and steak. Which, coincidentally, just happen to be two of my favourite things. You know, behind disco music, Wentworth Miller, blogging, and thinking up stuff to include in my hypothetical wedding.
Anyway. Where was I?
Right, the BBQ. Or as I like to call it, Meat Fest '10. Oh baby. Meat-wise, I am never more satisfied than after dinner at Jess Morton's house. You know what I'm talking about? If you're friends with Jess you will. And if you're not friends with Jess, you should become friends with her. Because that girl knows her way around a kitchen.
After Jess's, a couple of us (Sair, Gem, Mai and myself) trained it down to Martin Place for Tropfest (that's the world's largest short film festival for you out-of-towners) and uh...well, long story short, we're now famous.
Okay, not really. But we were on TV hi-fiving this dude:

Oh yeah. I touched that guy's hand. Jealous?
So between that, sitting 2 feet from the Chaser boys and seeing Toni Collette and Elijah Wood with my very own eyes (I know you guys, it was like a celebrity orgasm), I didn't think the night could get much better.
...
I was wrong.
You know how sometimes you have an ambition - a dream, if you will - an ambition so crazy, so ludicrous, so outside the realm of reality, that you don't ever really expect to achieve it? I do. I did. I had a dream.
To run through the water fountain outside St Leonards train station in the middle of the night. That was my dream. And yesterday:



Suck it, St Leonards Train Station security team! I can now die happy.

No comments: