Monday, June 08, 2009

Star Trek in 2 minutes

Hey, who knew today was a public holiday?
I sure didn't! At least, not until Mum woke me up this morning and asked if I wanted to go see Star Trek with her.
And, because I love my Mum, and couldn't think of anything I'd like to do more than go see Star Trek with her on a (supposedly) public holiday, I said yes. Of course I said yes!
Ok, so technically I didn't say yes. What I actually said was:

Mum: Hey! Want to come see Star Trek at the movies with me??
Jacki: (Pause) You're paying, right?

But that just makes me look like a bad daughter. Which I'm not - Catherine is the bad daughter. She didn't even come!
Anyway, not important.
So, Star Trek. Actually, for a nerdy guys movie set in space and based on an old TV show about which I have absolutely no previous knowledge, it wasn't bad.
It wasn't bad at all.
And I'm not just saying that because it stars Eric Bana, and anyone who knows me knows that Eric Bana and I have a special connection. I mean, that's only part of it.
Plus it didn't hurt that the dude playing Kirk was a total slamming hottie. Even if his eyebrows were kind of out of control. They say large eyebrows are a sign of power, right? Well, that guy must be the most powerful man in the world.
Anyway, that's pretty much my take on Star Trek. A quick recap:
Best Moment: When pre-teen Kirk drives his step-dads antique convertible over a cliff
Worst Moment: When Kirk Senior sacrifices himself in order to save his wife and unborn baby. Don't worry, that happens at the very beginning, so it's not like I spoiled anything for you. But it totally reminded me of the end of Prison Break. Which, in turn, reminded me that:
a) Wentworth died at the end of Prison Break, and
b) There is an end of Prison Break
So yeah. That was the worst moment, for me.
Weirdest Moment: Ok there are two. First, when Uhura made out with Spock (I thought she and Kirk were the hot space couple!). And second, when Kirk implied that he sometimes has sex with farm animals - was that really necessary, J.J Abrams?
My Favourite Line: "You're from the future. Thats brilliant!! Do they still have sandwiches there?"
Rating: I'll give it 3.5 stars.
Solid.

No comments: