Tuesday, May 20, 2008

trew. T-R-E-W.

ok.
i think its official.
like really official.
like pick-up-the-phone-its-time-to-call-the-guiness-book-of-records-and-finally-get-my-name-in-there-for-something official.

i have the MOST miss-spelt name in the world.
oh yes.
and im going to have a good and proper rant about this because it has to be one of the most SIMPLE names in the world.
i mean its not like there are any silent letters. or letters that dont sound like they usually sound (like you know how some people spell julia with a g? i mean thats just wrong).
its simple
jacki. trew.
how hard is that?
"not that hard!" i hear you say.
yes.
yes, i agree.
...
...
SO HOW COME SO MANY PEOPLE MISS-SPELL IT. HUH? HUH?
and if they dont it spell it wrong, they go..
"what? trew?"
...
and then they look at me like IM an idiot.
no.
no i am NOT an idiot.

so ive taken to, when people ask me what my name is, responding like this:
"jacki trew. t-r-e-w"
i mean, that should fix the problem, right?
im SPELLING it for them.
but no. no no. somehow that confuses people even more.
i think the most hilarious thing about it is that every single person responds the same way.
say they're writing my name down.
most get as far as t. some make it to r. and then everything goes downhill.
the pen pauses on the page, and they just stare at the paper for a second.
they look at me.
they look back at the paper.
"e-w" i say, seeing that they have already written t and r.
they look at me.
they look back at the paper.
they write a u.
"no, its e, then w" i say.
"e?" they say, unbelievingly
"yes. e. e and then w" i say
they look at the paper.
they look back at me.
i grab the paper off them and write the damn name myself.
i dont understand. I DONT UNDERSTAND.

and if its not the trew part, its the jacki part.
and ill admit i dont have the most common spelling of jacki in the world, but look. look at how i spell it. ITS SO SIMPLE.
again. no silent letters, no letters than dont sound how they usually sound.
ITS SPELT HOW IT SOUNDS.
but this is how the conversation usually goes:

"name?"
"jacki."
"is that jacqui?"
"no"
"jacky?"
"no"
"jacquie?"
"no"
"is it - "
"no, no, its j-a-c-k-i."
"oh. oh. thats weird"
they write it down. they give me the paper.
it reads name: jackie
...
I MEAN COME ON!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know how you feel
people spell mine with a j or my last name with one o
im like its good-win you can spell the words separately so why cant you put them together!!!

Jacki Trew... said...

fools, fools all
and one o in goodwin?

that is shameful beyond all reason