Tuesday, January 15, 2013

An Old Blog I Never Posted

Fiance is sick today, so we spent most of the morning in bed watching old Michael Jordan videos on YouTube.  Ah, the married life.  Anyway.  Fiance is hugely into the NBA while I never so much as played a game of basketball, so at first I was kind of worried that I'd come of as a complete novice and inadvertently ruin my own marriage.  Luckily I was able to get by on what sparse knowledge I gained from watching Space Jam about 80 times when I was nine.  I don't think Fiance even noticed.

Me: What team did Michael Jordan play for?
Fiance: The Bulls.
Me: Oh, so Chicago?
Fiance: Yeah.

Fiance:  Look at where he took that dunk from!  Did you see that?
Me: The free-throw line, right?
Fiance: Yeah!

Fiance: Charles Barkley is so funny.
Me: Man he must be so old by now.
Fiance: Yeah, pretty old.
Me: And isn't he really short?
Fiance: Totally!

Speaking of basketball and the fact that I know almost nothing about it, holy shit it just occurred to me that American soul duo Gnarles Barkley may have taken their name from Charles Barkley.  Is this a thing?  Did no one tell me?  It's either that, coincidental, or they are all actually brothers with really sadistic parents.  I gotta ask Google.

Yes!  I was right!  According to Wikipedia:
Danger Mouse explains that the name Gnarls Barkley came from "fictional celebrity names like Prince Gnarls and Bob Gnarley" (parodies of Prince Charles and Bob Marley, respectively) made up by their friends. When Heavens band member Josiah Steinbrick came up with "Gnarls Barkley", a parody of basketball star Charles Barkley's name, Burton wrote it down. In fact earlier in their career, various radio DJs incorrectly attributed their songs to the basketball star instead of the band.


They will make an NBA fanatic out of me yet.  'They' here meaning 'Fiance and Bugs Bunny.  Michael Jordan to assist.'



No comments: